Core77 Design Awards
Procrastinating is way too easy when there are holiday parties to attend, gifts to buy, and Christmas-themed baked goods to consume. But the Earlybird deadline for this year's Core77 Design Awards is quickly approaching (January 30th), so we would advise you to take advantage of the break to get started on your entry. Plus, if you want us to send you one of our limited edition silk-screened posters, you've got to submit your entry by December 31st.
Don't freak—you've still got time. Here are a few tips for fighting procrastination and getting your entry ready for the judges before the end of the year:
- There's always more to be done than can be done. "Perfect" is a tricky word. Don't limit yourself to making sure that every single detail will please each of the judges. Think of the bigger idea and stick with that—don't stress when there's another feature you could've added.
- Step away from the computer. It may seem counterproductive—especially if your entry is digitally focused—but sometimes the most productive work is done with a pencil and paper. Make a list of your entry's most important features and what needs to be done to make them as effective as possible.
- Ask for help. If you've been over the problem 20 times in your head to no avail, get an outside opinion. You're wasting valuable time and an outside opinion may bring entirely new ideas to mind.
- Let people know what you're doing. There's nothing like a little old-fashioned peer-pressure.
- Make a brain map. Basically, this is brainstorming for creatives. Write one word in the center of a piece of paper—it could be a feature from your project or a problem you're facing. Start branching off with related words, sketches, ideas or features. This is an easy way to see how your entire submission is linked—and it's proven to boost creativity if you're hitting a wall.
What are your best procrastination-busting tips? Share them in the comments.
Get more information on the Core77 Design Awards and submit your entry here.