Comment by: Paul Hatch at April 10, 2005 10:27 PM
I've followed Toshi's work since 2001, and always knew he'd rise this far. This award aligns him with the best young designers in the US, and he's just got started. You'll all see some great work from him soon from his work at TEAMS Design (I had to get that plug in, I've been saving it up all three days!!)
____________A few facts about Toshi that he didn't include in his Merit Award presentation:
1) Just prior to graduating from Champaign, he 'popped over' to England and got an ID degree at Northumbria Uni (Newcastle).
2) He's never seen the original Star Wars movie.
3) He's got fingers that bend back at 90 degrees.
4) He doesn't hold his drink.
Comment by: Paul Hatch at April 12, 2005 03:28 PM
Just thought I should point this out before anyone gets the wrong idea... I wasn't part of the jury for the Merit Awards (neither was William Bullock, Toshi's professor). Two of the six members of the jury were on my table but I didn't discuss the presentations with them at all.
The jurers were:
- Four of the Midwest district Chairs: Tim Copeland, Jennifer Astwood, Doug Carpiaux and Ryan Gorha.
- Eric Anderson, Secretary Chair for IDSA National
- Last year's Midwest winner, the talented Ben Shao
I'm also glad that I wasn't on the jury this year -it must have been a tough decision to make. The other seven don't get to go to Washington for free but are still Merit Award winners which puts them in an elite group of designers "most likely to make it". I wish you all the very best of luck.