In this video, I address a question from a viewer about how to keep your saw cuts plumb, and demonstrate how to do it. Here are a few tips covered in the video:
- Treat the cut as two parts
- Pay attention to the reflection
- Don't forget that step back
- Commit to the cut and use the whole saw plate
- Start your cut on the push stroke
Sawing is probably the MOST important hand tool skill you can acquire and improve, so do yourself a favor and spend some time perfecting your technique and making yourself a better woodworker.
This "Hand Tool School" series is provided courtesy of Shannon Rogers, a/k/a The Renaissance Woodworker. Rogers is founder of The Hand Tool School, which provides members with an online apprenticeship that teaches them how to use hand tools and to build furniture with traditional methods.