What began as the annual meeting for the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA)® is now the top global event for industrial designers, business leaders, and creatives worldwide—and it's back in-person. The International Design Conference (IDC)® 2022 will bring designers across disciplines, as well as design educators and students, to the heart of Seattle, Washington this September for networking, skill-building, and immersive, quality professional development.
As a comprehensive event, happening Sept. 12–14 with a virtual component, IDC is comprised of mainstage presentations and workshops, as well as the annual IDSA Education Symposium, the International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA)® Ceremony & Gala, the IDSA Awards Ceremony, an IDC Party at the Seattle Aquarium, a Happy Hour at Tactile, and the long-held IDSA Business Meeting.
The first national meeting of IDSA was September 30–October 2, 1965 in Oakbrook, Illinois. Charles Eames was the keynote speaker. Topics covered at the gathering included "Designer's Responsibility to Management," "Today's Design Education," and "Industrial Design 1975."
The national event came to Seattle in 2015, marking IDSA's 50th anniversary; and seven years later, IDC returns to this vibrant tech and design hub. After rebranding in 2018, IDC brought designers worldwide to New Orleans (2018), Chicago (2019), and entirely online (2020 and 2021) for meaningful connection and advancing the conversation about what design can contribute to the world's future.
Some of the speakers at IDC 2022 are:
· Tim Hulford, IDSA, Director of Industrial Design at Meta
· Lindsay Malatesta, Industrial Designer at REI
· Dr. D'Wayne Edwards, IDSA, President of Pensole Lewis College of Business & Design
Among the IDC 2022 workshops and panel discussions are:
· "Should You Pivot to UX!?" with Alex Yee of Google Design, Reid Schlegel and Danielle Chen, IDSA of Huge, and Steve Kaneko, FIDSA, moderated by industrial designer Anson Cheung, IDSA
· "Advance Your ID Career with Offsite" led by industrial designers Spencer Nugent, Michael DiTullo, IDSA, and Hector Silva of Advanced Design
· "KeyShot Essentials and Advanced Features" with Don Tuttle, Global Training Specialist at Luxion
With the 2022 theme of (Re)Connect, the IDSA Education Symposium returns better than ever, with timely and informative sessions from educators at leading design schools and research institutions.
Read Core77's recap of IDC 2019. "IDC encapsulates what a contemporary design conference should look and feel like," wrote Tiffany Do. "It was an integrated blend of tech, traditional ID-ers, UX / UI designers, graphic designers, and educators within a safe space to have thoughtful conversation."
Join over 240,000 designers who stay up-to-date with the Core77 newsletter.
Test it out; it only takes a single click to unsubscribe