The final session of The Economist's Big Rethink conference has David Butler, Vice President of Design for Coca-Cola, setting out the value of design to share value.
Lego is the image he uses to illustrate the way in which design operates as an integral system -- connecting across the organisation, from product to packaging to advertising.
It's a fairly basic introduction to the role of design, and should have been the first speech.
Themes covered throughout the day include:
- the potential of technology to address poverty and other major world challenges
- the importance of the profit-motive
- the individual in a networked world.
- the need for a high-touch, high-trust business model in an increasingly globalised 'remote' world
- the potential of the small and the local to grow.
More on this tomorrow!