Today is the day! We are excited to announce the launch of our second annual Core77 Design Awards! We are officially open for entry and we want to see your most original and impactful design projects from 2011.
It's great to be back as we further our celebration of excellence, enterprise and intent. Last year, we launched a unique program that addressed many of the challenges of the typical design award paradigm. Our second year builds upon the successes of our inaugural year and we're excited to bring you our line-up for year two. The same values persist—leveraging online scale, increasing transparency and decreasing plane fuel—but we've refined the recipe to make the awards program more inclusive and celebratory.
Along with a brand new jury, we have some exciting plans for this season:
- Progressive Categories: Celebrating 17 categories of design endeavor from beloved standards to several newer fields, adding 2 new categories to the stable: Writing & Commentary and Food Design.
- Dedicated Student Fields: We have always honored student work and the awards offers student entry fields for 15 of our 17 categories.
- Distributed International Juries: We've assigned a Jury Captain (or Co-Captains) to each category, giving each the opportunity to select their own team members from their home city. Check out the line-up below.
- Entrant Video Testimonials: With the ability to submit short, low-tech video testimonials as part of their entry, we give entrants the opportunity to tell their story directly to the jury and share what jpegs and text cannot: their intent and passion.
- Live Jury Announcements: Through our 1-week live results period, our juries will reveal their choices and we'll broadcast these through the awards site so you'll get to hear first-hand who they picked and why.
- An Awesome Trophy: All Winners will receive our amazing Core77 Design Awards trophy, which celebrates design as a team sport.
Here's our full list of entry categories: Consumer Products, Equipment, Soft Goods, Furniture & Lighting, Interiors & Exhibitions, Visual Communication, Packaging, Interaction, Service, Transportation, Social Impact, Educational Initiatives, Strategy & Research, Writing & Commentary (NEW), Speculative, DIY and Food Design (NEW).
But our categories aren't the only thing to write home about. We have a new global line-up of 20 Jury Captains (with one more to be confirmed). Not only are they true experts in their fields, but they represent 13 cities across 8 countries. Stay tuned as our jury captains announce their full jury teams.
Jury Captain: Nicolas Roope
Founder and Owner of HULGER / PLUMEN
Founder and Owner of Poke
Jury Captain: Renke He
Dean and Professor at School of Design at Hunan University
Jury Captain: Michael DiTullo
Creative Director at frog design
Furniture & Lighting
Jury Captain: Zoë Ryan
Chair and Curator of Architecture and Design at the Art Institute of Chicago
Interiors & Exhibitions
Jury Captain coming soon.
Jury Co-Captains: Min and Sulki Choi
Co-Directors of Sulki and Min
Professors at U. of Seoul / Kaywon School of Art & Design
Jury Captain: Laurent Hainaut
Co-Founder and Partner of Raison Pure Design Group
Founder, President and CEO of Raison Pure NYC
Jury Captain: Panthea Lee
Co-Founder and Principal of Reboot
Jury Captain: Jay Rogers
President, CEO and Co-Founder of Local Motors, Inc.
Jury Captain: Tasos Calantzis
CEO of Terrestrial
Jury Captain: Mariana Amatullo
Founder of Designmatters at Art Center College of Design
Strategy & Research
Jury Captain: Lorraine Justice
Dean of College of Imaging Arts and Sciences at Rochester Institute of Technology
Writing & Commentary
Jury Captain: Alice Twemlow
Chair of MFA in Design Criticism at School of Visual Arts
Jury Captain: Bruce Sterling
Author of "Beyond the Beyond" at Wired
Jury Captain: Becky Stern
Founder of Sternlab
Jury Captain: Marc Brétillot
All results will be posted in our 2012 Awards Gallery and Winners, Runners-up and Notable entries will receive recognition in the Core77 blog, as well as a spot in our awards print publication. To see who won last year, check out the 2011 Winners Gallery and also see the range of video testimonials that were submitted.
Register early and we'll send you the limited-edition 2012 call-for-entries poster/wall calendar. If you enter by our Earlybird deadline of March 13, you'll also save 20% on your entry fee.
Visit the Core77 2012 Design Awards website to register today.
To stay up to date with the program and developments, join our Facebook page and Twitter. And get cracking with those entries to be part of the most inclusive and celebratory design awards program of the digital age.