"The best interaction design doesn't just make things easier to use, it opens up new spaces for play and collaboration to enhance our relationship with the world and each other," explained jurist Robert Fabricant, VP of Creative at frog. Kicking off the announcements for this year's inaugural IxDA Interaction Awards, San Francisco-based agency Stimulant won Best in Show AND the Best in Category, Expressing for Loop Loop, an innovative music sequencer app that encourages kids and adults to create improvised musical compositions using their Sifteo cubes to stitch and layer a set of samples and beats.
Stimulant LoopLoop for Sifteo from Stimulant on Vimeo.
The People's Choice Award went to Interaction Cubes by the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation/Museum of Life. The project is an interactive module created for the exhibit "Elementar: a quÃmica que faz o mundo" (Elementary: the chemistry that makes up our world) for the Museum of Life in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Museu da Vida - Interaction Cubes from Mariana Duprat on Vimeo.
From a pool of over 300 entries representing 33 countries, 26 projects were awarded honors in the categories of Best in Show, Best Concept, Best Student, People's Choice, and Best in Category for Optimizing, Connecting, Disrupting, Expressing, Engaging and Empowering.
Best Concept went to Out of the Box by London-based Vitamins, and the award for Best Student was given to Ishac Bertran from Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design for his project Pas-à-Pas.
Out of the box from Vitamins on Vimeo.
Pas A Pas from Ishac Bertran on Vimeo.
Congratulations to all of this year's winners and click the jump for full list of 2012 Interaction Awards Winners!Complete list of winners for the 2012 Interaction Awards:
- Appie, IceMobile, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Best in Category, Optimizing)
- B-Cycle, Crispin, Porter + Bogusky, Boulder, USA (Optimizing)
- FoodHub: a digital community where local food people, ISITE Design, Portland, USA (Connecting)
- Ford SmartGauge, Smart Design, San Francisco, USA (Best in Category, Disrupting)
- Google Art Project, Possible Worldwide, New York, USA (Empowering)
- HBO GO Mobile Applications, HUGE, New York, USA (Engaging)
- I want ToBe... Course, ToBe Worldwide, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. (Empowering)
- Interaction Cubes, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz/Museu da Vida, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Best in Category, Engaging)
- LoopLoop, Stimulant/Sifteo, San Francisco, USA (Best in Category, Expressing; Best in Show)
- Out of Box Experience - Accu-Chek Aviva, Frontend.com, Dublin, Ireland (Optimizing)
- Out of the Box, Vitamins, London, England (Best Concept)
- Pas a Pas, CIID/Ishac Bertran, Copenhagen, Denmark (Expressing, Best Student)
- Peel, Peel, Mountain View, USA (Disrupting)
- Pepsi Refresh Project, HUGE, New York, USA (Best in Category, Connecting)
- Plug-In-Play, Rockwell Group, New York, USA (Connecting)
- ReadyForZero, ReadyForZero, San Francisco, USA (Optimizing)
- Spotify Box, Umea Institute of Design, Umea, Sweden (Disrupting)
- Steps, Art Center College of Design, Los Angeles, USA (Connecting)
- SWYP: See What You Print, Artefact, Seattle, USA (Disrupting)
- Teaching Channel, Method, Inc., San Francisco, USA (Empowering)
- The Film Room, R/GA, New York, USA (Expressing)
- The Waste Land, Touch Press LLP, London, England (Disrupting)
- University of Oregon Ford Alumni Center, Second Story Interactive Studios, Portland, USA (Engaging)
- We Remember/ Explore 9/11, Local Projects LLC, New York, USA (Engaging)
- Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango), Microsoft, Seattle, USA (Connecting)
- Xero, Xero, Wellington, New Zealand (Optimizing)
» Coroflot Connects at Interaction12
» A Conversation with Amber Case, Cyborg Anthropologist
» Q&A with Tom O'Rahilly, Director of the National Leprechaun Museum
» An Introduction to Ethnographic Animation by Kate Ertmann
» State of Interaction Design: Diverging, by David Malouf
» A Conversation with Luke Williams
» A Conversation with Pete Denman
» Welcome to Dublin: Interaction12 Conference Opening
» Interaction Design vs. Designing Interactions, Keynote by Anthony Dunne