FlyNY invites you to design and donate an original, handmade kite for the 2nd Annual NYC international kite design competition. Upload your design ideas to Architizer.com and present your kite on August 21st at a public kite flying showcase on Pier I in Riverside Park. FlyNY will short-list approximately 40 kites for participation in a special pre-launch event and auction on August 18th. At the pre-launch event, a distinguished jury will review your kite and curate a live panel discussion. Encourage your friends and colleagues to review your designs on Architizer, as FlyNY will consider community favorites!
For all the details please click!
Full competition details as described on the Architizer.com website:
The competition is open to the whole [design] community [including children, students, and design related professionals]. Interdisciplinary teams are encourage to foster an innovative conversation about design and fabrication.
Kite submissions will be evaluated & judged based on the following criteria:
3. Artistic Statement
In addition, judges will be looking for kites that go above and beyond the traditional notion of kite flying. They will be evaluating submissions from an academic standpoint rather than recreational. Here are few questions to get you started:
-Does your kite impact your environment or social setting?
-Does your kite define or respond to an historical/cultural context?
-Does your kite perform/transform when flown?
-Does your kite respond to our current economic/political situation?
-Does your kite service others in need [disaster relief, medical aid; homelessness; education; hunger, etc]?
Submissions must be uploaded to Architizer.com.
The project profile must include the following:
1. Kite Name [project name must be submitted as: "FLYNY2010 - name of your entry"]
2. Project Description 1500 words or less
3. Name, email address, & telephone number for the project leader
4. Team members must be credited.
5. As many images as necessary to fully explain the submission i.e process photos, diagrams, and/or drawings [3 images minimum]
6. You must add "FLYNY2010" as a tag to the project profile; without this tag the project will not be eligible.
There is no submission fee; competition participants that are short listed agree to donate their kites to FlyNY for inclusion in an auction to raise funds for Architecture for Humanity.
You can also show your support for FlyNY by contributing a tax exempt donation. In order to make a charitable donation, please visit our project on kickstarter.com [search for us under flyNY].
DEADLINES AND SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
1. To be eligible for the pre-launch exhibit and auction, your project must be posted on Architizer.com before August 1st, 2010, 11:59pm EST.
2. Short-list finalists will be notified via email on August 10th.
3. Short-list finalists are encouraged to present their designs at a pre-launch exhibit and auction on August 18th from 6:00pm - 9:00pm.
4. All design submissions will be showcased on Pier I, on August 21st (rain date August 22nd). This public event will take place from10:30am - 4:00pm at Pier I at 70th Street, on Riverside South.
The Jury will consist of a team of international architects, artists, and kite aficionados including; - Craig Dykers of SnÃ¸hetta,
- Nora Abousteit, co-founder of BurdaStyle,
- Cameron Sinclair and Kate Stohr, co-founders of Architecture for Humanity.
1. I understand that entering my kite to the competition automatically enters it into the auction, proceeds of which go to help fund the New York City affiliate of Architecture for Humanity.
2. I understand that in donating my kite I relinquish ownership of my kite at the conclusion of the event and it becomes the rightful property of the winning bidder.
3. Participants and their kites may be photographed and/or published in event related materials by our media partners and/or other media outlets. Registering your kite ensures that authorship will be
properly noted in any event related publications and press.
1. Under no circumstances does any charitable donation play any role in judging criteria or involvement in the competition.
2. All donations are 95% tax deductible. Please visit please visit our project on kickstarter.com, in order to make a donation and request your tax deductible receipt. [or search for us under FlyNY 2010 @ kickstarter.com].