Now in its 20th year, the Bicycle Film Festival started as a platform to celebrate the bicycle through music, art and, of course film. Prior to Covid the organization ran screenings, panel discussions, music and art exhibits. To date they've held events in more than 90 cities worldwide.
The festival is currently running online, and features 4 short film programs with over 40 new films and filmmakers from more than a dozen countries. The festival offers four different programs of short bike-based films. The categories are Urban, Cinematic, Cycle For Change and Adventure.
A sampling of the subject matter includes:
* The mountain biking scene developing in the area of La Paz, Bolivia
* A 24 hour, 240 mile race through Minnesota's gravel roads
* European bike couriers using technology to challenge corporate giants like Uber Eats and Deliveroo
* A first-person tour of New York City at night, by bike
* The streets of São Paulo during the quarantine filmed by couriers